1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got seriously devalued after redesign. What to do?

Discussion in 'Black Hat SEO' started by adrenalin, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. adrenalin

    adrenalin Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Internet stuff
    Location:
    Internet
    Not sure why it happened, but suddenly a site of mine got really dramatically devalued for it´s main keyword. I´ve been releasing a redesign to the whole site quite lately, but going from page 3 to page 20+ shouldn´t happen because of that?

    Any ideas on what I could do to fix the situation? The strange thing, is nothing happened to other keyword phrases than the main keyword I was targeting. :confused:
     
  2. jon_xx_x

    jon_xx_x Jr. VIP Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,100
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Content the same? Anything else change?
    How long ago was it? It should more than likely bounce back.
     
  3. flexnds

    flexnds Power Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2010
    Messages:
    643
    Likes Received:
    680
    Occupation:
    Internet Marketing, Web development, Internet Repu
    Location:
    AZ
    Strange.. Make sure the theme did not change the site structure too much. Some themes are also designed more with SEO in mind ie. load time, anchor text to home page in banner, text in header, and many more factors...
     
  4. wahidpolin

    wahidpolin Regular Member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    Messages:
    441
    Likes Received:
    259
    u might have created duplicate content while re arranging your site.
     
  5. G-S-T

    G-S-T Executive VIP Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,831
    Likes Received:
    8,794
    Occupation:
    Full time IM
    Location:
    Heavy in the game
    change it back and wait, see if your rankings recover. then review the situation when your better informed.
     
  6. adrenalin

    adrenalin Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Internet stuff
    Location:
    Internet
    Thanks. I guess it could be a box with some "about us" text, which is in the sidebar on any page of the site. That´s the only explenation I´ve got at the moment.

    Now, suddenly I noticed a huge drop at the second targeted keyword phrase too. But all the other phrases are still there, and no message in GWT or any sign in Adsense. :(
     
  7. jon_xx_x

    jon_xx_x Jr. VIP Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Messages:
    3,100
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Usually they say give it a couple weeks.
    I've been planning a redesign for months and am worried as well, as I have numerous top 10 rankings, some for very competitive keywords, and I'm worried about losing.
     
  8. Longover

    Longover Power Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    Messages:
    658
    Likes Received:
    347
    Google acts pretty strange. I have one site where I rank 9 for product review, but the product keyword dropped from page one to 100.

    Maybe you changed structure slightly.
     
  9. SuperLinks

    SuperLinks Elite Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    2,903
    Likes Received:
    847
    Location:
    New York
    There's been a lot of action with Google recently, I'm seeing some drastic fluctuations in which Google's displaying localized results for keywords that really don't need localized results, ex: SEO related keywords.

    Chances are though you weren't affected by this, and it was probably your redesign. My question for you though, did your redesign mean new URLs? If so you've probably lost the "value" of those old links that you had since your new URLs are different. If you did change the URL structure I would either revert back or attempt to 301 each and every old URL and point it to the "new" variation of the URL or the homepage.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. albaniax

    albaniax Elite Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1,586
    Likes Received:
    823
    Location:
    GER - ALB
    Else, wait for 1 week before posting. Don't even think at making an conclusion, before 7 days passed.

    If 7 day's passed and it remains, there is seriously s.th. wrong.
     
  11. phpbuilt

    phpbuilt Jr. VIP Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,650
    Likes Received:
    5,208
    Occupation:
    $ from websites I own.
    Location:
    putting monkeys in paypal
    if a site is making money, don't redesign it.

    If you redesign a website, you have maybe a 5% chance of upping its revenue, 5% chance of staying the same, and a 90% chance of losing almost everything.

    Even if you do it exactly the way you're supposed to.
     
  12. adrenalin

    adrenalin Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Internet stuff
    Location:
    Internet
    Haven´t figured this out yet. But I see somebody at the WF is having the same kind of problem. http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-ppc-seo-discussion-forum/453036-my-rankings-gone.html

    The strange thing, is one of my sub-pages are suddenly showing up on page 3 (second keyword phrase). But nothing to be seen on my main targeted keywords. I´m quite sure this is a Google penalty of some kind. I could have keyword-stuffed a bit too much. Also, I had a typo-page pointing to my site, with more than one link (have fixed both now). The third thing that could do it, is having built more links to my front page than my sub pages. Hopefully none of the main known Google penalties are ever-lasting though.
     
  13. SuperLinks

    SuperLinks Elite Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    2,903
    Likes Received:
    847
    Location:
    New York
    You never answered any of my questions or others in this thread, that would help.
     
  14. adrenalin

    adrenalin Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Internet stuff
    Location:
    Internet
    Oh, sorry bout that. I did not redesign the urls. Wanted to do the design upgrade first, then the urls at a later point (with 301, canonicals etc).
     
  15. adrenalin

    adrenalin Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Internet stuff
    Location:
    Internet
    Plus, Google has got everything of sitemaps, feeds etc.

    I´m using a wodpress blog, with quite good daily traffic (2-4K U/V). Really did not expect this devaluing. But, no messages in GWT, Adsense or similar. No other signs than that the positions for my main keywords are gone.
     
  16. SuperLinks

    SuperLinks Elite Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    2,903
    Likes Received:
    847
    Location:
    New York
    In that case chances are it has something to do with the way your linking architecture is on your new design.

    Meaning maybe your old design had a larger Category section than before and you've since removed those links with the new design. Now Google has a harder time of getting to the category pages and subsequently your internal posts.

    While you've submitted sitemaps and maybe Google's seen your posts since the redesign it doesn't mean that you haven't lost the value to those pages. Keep in mind that PageRank is like water, and each link is funneling a little bit of that "water" down to internal pages. If there isn't a way for that PageRank to drip down from links on your site than it has less and less PageRank and thus ranking power.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. VIC SEO

    VIC SEO Elite Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    Messages:
    2,156
    Likes Received:
    363
    Gender:
    Male
    Occupation:
    SEO Specialist
    Location:
    iSynergyMedia
    Home Page:
    This usually happens if some pages just got mixed up or some links got added or removed. So make sure that the number of links in every page before and after the re-design were the same. If there is any change in the number of links per page then this is the reason of our de-indexing.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. adrenalin

    adrenalin Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Internet stuff
    Location:
    Internet
    Thanks. I have added two dropdowns for categories. If this is the reason, good. Then I´ll just wait for my rankings to come back. I still have quite good traffic from other sources, so I can be patient. :)

    By the way. If you get a Google penalty (which I never experienced myself so far, except maybee this time). Will you see it somehow in Google Webmaster Tools, as a message or similar?
     
  19. Patel

    Patel Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,116
    Likes Received:
    1,503
    Location:
    On the coast
    I would like to know this as well.

    15 minutes ago my site was ranking number 7, now it is not in the top 1000 and I am worried.

    None of my keywords are ranking either.
     
  20. Bazinga

    Bazinga Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    3
    Occupation:
    Bazinga People
    Location:
    6 Feet Under
    Redesign should not be effecting your ranking unless the changes change the way the phrase or kw being displayed. At least that is what been told by my sifu..