- Aug 3, 2011
- Reaction score
We will cover all the steps you will need to take as a newbie to get started with this!
With a little twist and putting some creativity into this, you can make a real movie site and earn a shit ton of money from displaying advertisements.
Things you will need for this to work easily:
- Domain name
- Shared Web Hosting
- Wordpress Installation
- Movie/trailer/cinema related theme free or paid
- Customization if you are using a free theme
- Plugin to pull movie description, data, plot, backdrop and image from IMDB or TMDB.
- Knowledge to embed content
- Unique content if you embed trailers and choosing a niche
- How to monetize your website
- How to setup advertisements
- Example of adding a movie that is available on YouTube
- Legit way: If you are going to embed trailer and movies/content that is available to the public, or movies that are free to share (documentaries, movies on YouTube, Google, etc.) - recommended way is to use trailers too, so if you would not like to have any issues with copyright, you can get any domain extension.
- Creative way: If you want to be cool, creative and up to date, which i won't be covering in this guide and squeeze as much money as you can, follow trends and put a twist to this method, you can use one of the domain registrars and extensions below.
1. Domain name
If you want to be legit which i highly recommend to all, especially beginners, you can grab any domain name from any domain registrar you prefer. If you want to run a trailer website, make sure to pick a niche/movie category that you like and would watch and make the domain name related to it.
- Recommended domain extensions for the legit way: .com, .net, .org or cheap domain like .info and any other cheap extension.
- Recommended domain registrars for the legit way: Namecheap, Porkbun, Dynadot, InternetBS, Shinjiru
- Recommended domain extensions for the creative way: .is .gd .ru. .su .fo .gl .to and many more
- Recommended domain registrars for the creative way: Njal.la (SE), Xuid (RU), Cnobin(RU), Ru-Tld(RU), CheapPrivacy (RU), Ahnames(RU), Flokinet (IS), Nicevps (DM), Epik (US)
- Recommended payment method: Bitcoin > Monero > BTC
- Recommended software installed: VPN/T*R or both
For all legit people, i would highly encourage you all and visit the BlackHatWorld Web Hosting section and find the cheapest web hosting provider and also pay for a year or more to maximize your savings!
- Recommended web hosting locations for legit people: Netherlands, Sweden, Romania, Bulgaria
- Recommended web hosting locations for the creative ones: Russia, Moldova, Island, Finland, Panama, Malaysia
- Recommended web hosts: Offshore-Servers (RU), TheOnionHost (BG), Lyrahosting (NL), KnownSRV (NL), AlexHost (MD), Flokinet (IS/RO/FI)
- Recommended payment method: Bitcoin > Monero > BTC
- Recommended software installed: VPN/T*R or both on your computer and CloudFlare for your domain
You can use a cPanel based hosting (recommended) or if you are an advanced user feel free to install Wordpress using any webhosting panel or directly via FTP. Make sure you have the latest version of PHP installed. If you have softaculous, you can easily install wordpress with 1 click, so if you are a complete newbie, look for a host that offers cPanel and Softaculous.
4. Wordpress Theme/Customization/Plugins
You can look at ThemeForest and downloads on BlackHatWorld for a cheap or free theme.
@Festinger has a lot of themes in his vault, so you can also check that out if you want to save.
You can do everything manually with a free theme, but this is time consuming, so i will not be covering that here. I will instead share a few paid themes and plugins you can use to get this done.
Recommended themes: dooPlay (Doothemes), Psyplay, Moview (Theme Forest) , MovieLine(Template Monster), Movies Online (Template Monster), The Movies (Theme Forest), Sculpture (Template Monster), VideoPro (Theme Forest), Movie Track (Template Monster), Cinema24 (Ink Themes)
The first three themes listed have a plugin that will auto import data from a movie database, so i highly recommend you using one of these, however, it would definitely require a subscription or payment of some sort.
Once you grab one of these themes, make sure it is installed correctly, start adding movie categories, cool widgets, etc.
5. Adding/embedding movies & trailers
If you go to Google/YouTube and other search engines and write "full movie", you will get tons of results. Usually, videos that have actual movies are at around 2 hours, so make sure you check these out. Then, just look for a share option and copy the embedded code.
Go to your plugin, find the movie ID on IMDB and import content. After that, find the area where you should place "IFRAME CODE/HTML CODE", paste your iframe code there and click save.
Use a scraper to automate this and find lots of movie files.
You can get creative and look for other sources, but as mentioned before, we will not cover that.
Hint for these creative guys: just replace YouTube/Google with a popular video website and use/create a proper scraper.
Friendly advice: No matter if you are trying to be "legit" or "creative", avoid breaking copyright rules, downloading & uploading movies yourself, just use public sources, you do not need the perfect movie site, you just need a money weapon.
You can still make money even if you embed documentaries only and movies free to share, educational movies, etc.
Always, always share the source where the video/trailer is actually hosted and give a credit to the original uploader. Make sure you have a DMCA page (preferably in the footer) and ensure you will cooperate to avoid legal trouble and stay safe. Of course, you can be creative, if you know what you are doing. If you ever get a DMCA, even if its for a trailer, just take it down, it is not the end of the world.
7. Unique content and review if you embed trailers and picking a niche
If you want to make money from trailers only, after your plugin has pulled all movie data and information, you would need to go and rewrite that.
- Watch the movies first
A good way for people that love watching movies is to actually watch the movie first and then write a summary and review of the movie itself which is around 500 words long.
- Select a movie category/niche you like
I have mentioned this in the beginning, if you do not want this to be boring to you, you need to pick a movie genre that you actually like. If your English is basic or average, your content will still be unique and you will be able to link to affiliate sites where people can watch all popular movies legally and you get paid commissions.
- Add trailers a few months before movie is released and work on its SEO
A good thing you can do is actually have the trailer embedded once its out on video networks or IMDB and post a blog post with your opinion about it. Work on its SEO before the movie is actually released, so at the day of release, you will already have a rank above average movie sites and get more visitors organically.
8. How to monetize your movie/trailers website
I will now teach you how to monetize your website using Pop-Unders and Push Advertisements.
Of course there are a shit ton of methods for this, but i will list the easiest methods available and beginner friendly.
You can monetize with:
- CPA Offers (Adding a fake player, fake buttons and ads, etc.)
- Affiliate Software/Plugin offers (promote a software related to the movie & videos industry)
- Standard Advertisements
- Pop-Up Advertisements
- Push Advertisements
Recommended networks to newbies for monetization are:
We recommend you to use PropellerAds, since they have a wordpress plugin that is newbie friendly, so you will be able to set this up easily, we are not affiliated with them, but have used them in the past and they have a wordpress plugin that will help you set it up easily.
Sign up for a Publisher Propeller Ads Account (this is not affiliate link)
Once signed up, add your website.
Go to Sites and in the right corner click Add Site. You should see this:
Once the website is added Click Add Zone
Once you add zones, the plugin will fetch these on Wordpress automatically, but we will cover that later. While still in the zones section, create a Push Notification and OnClick (Popunder). You can do that by clicking the Get tag button.
Install the Propeller Ads Plugin
Once you have set these up, you will need to login to your wordpress, go to plugins and search for "Propeller". When you find the plugin, just install it and make sure you are logged in to their platform while still on the browser and it will connect to your website and fetch your ads. Now you need to tick a few buttons to enable the ads. Again, make sure you are logged in on Propeller Ads and just sync the plugin and authorize and activate zones from the plugin
10. Example on how to add a movie that is on YouTube and how the process and plugin work
Ok, so i will be using one of the themes listed that comes with a plugin to pull data from TMDB.
Go to youtube and write "full movie" in the search.
I picked a older, but trending movie (due the current coronavirus situation) and checked that it does not have any advertisements, etc.
Once you found what you want, go to SHARE and EMBED VIDEO. This is the code you will need to display this movie on your website.
Now go to: https://www.themoviedb.org/
Search for the movie title. Once you find it, click on it so you can read its plot. Now you will need to copy a few numbers (ID) from the navigation bar in your browser.
Look at the image, you need the code in the red area. Copy that code.
Locate your plugin embed section and paste your code
Now go to Wordpress to add a new post. No matter which of the themes you see, somewhere you will see a section to add a code and a Generate/Pull Data or update info section. You need to PASTE the code you copied there.
Voila! After clicking generate/update info, you will have a backdrop, title, description, genres selected, actors, plot & everything on your website already, including a trailer.
Now, to add the actual YouTube video where the movie is, scroll down and look for Embed section. You need to paste your code where the embed/shortcode section is located.
Now you just want to click save! That was it!
If you want to take extra precaution, just list the source in your post description and if you ever get a complaint, just take down the video. You can experiment with titles, do some SEO, add one movie multiple times or even run your own pandemic movies website or whatever is trending.
With this method, even with trailers only, if you apply a few twists of your own that you can think of, which involve rewriting, CPA offers, fake player and redirecting to public content available on search engines, you can easily make over $100/day as traffic is huge to these.
Make sure to take precautions if you will be trying stupid things and have your own pros & cons, think about what strategy would work for you in the long term.
I want to mention that i am in no way affiliated with any of these domain registrars, web hosts, advertisement platforms, plugins and themes mentioned. Do not buy anything based on this.
A few of the providers mentioned have good reviews in the BlackHatWorld section so i selected these based on their received reviews. Always read latest reviews and see up to date information.