Discussion in 'Black Hat SEO' started by turbohacker, Sep 25, 2012.
I bet it wont be there on the next refresh...
"all of us" ?
Some of us are also smart and experienced enough to not be fooled by Cutts and co. Watch your wording.
There are many factors contributing in ranking. Playing by the rules with this kind of competition will probably won't get you anywhere.
If for a certain keyword, Google finds that most of the sites having Backlink profiles with specific keyword, Google Algorithm will see this as the natural pattern.
What I do when trying to rank for a keyword is deeply analyze the backlink profile for the first 10 pages and mimic their strategy.
Don't be the odd one. "The odd one out" is a simple strategy that is followed by Google Algorithm.
I agree with Beakon. Most of my new sites were also on the first page for a couple of weeks prior to the last refresh. Then, one day, I couldn't find them. The only thing I could find was twitter accounts of those sites on the 3rd or 4th page. Good luck...
This wasn't a generalization, I was just saying.
Just trying to create an interesting discussion
well OP, what i have thoughts about penguin is that its really not understandable, i have seen so many very good sites dropping in SERPs and some shitty once ranking 1-2, its really confusing to have a clear blueprint of how penguin is working
Your whole post falls apart on this one point.
You have found one example of a site that has escaped so far - but that is all it is, one example. It certainly doesn't represent anything close to a conclusion.
It doesn't prove anything one way or the other, strange things happen in the SERPs all the time and one example doesn't provide correlation. In fact looking at one example like this under the micro scope is only going to add to the mass hysteria and confusion that most SEO's go through - Matt Cutts is a master of it.
Another problem with micro analysis of backlinks post-penguin, is that since the shutdown of the Yahoo Backlinks tool, there are NO tools that give very good/thorough backlink profiles (and even Yahoo wasn't perfect).
(I know that some tools are improving, but none of them are there yet)
So, you are drawing conclusions and making decisions based on a random sampling of what is most likely less than 10% of the ACTUAL backlinks.
The backlink profile may look skewed / empty to you, but remember, you are not seeing anything even remotely similar to what Google sees. Most likely, if you could see Google's view of the backlink profiles, things would make a lot of sense
If what you are saying is true, then most of the SEOs provided by so-called Penguin update experts need to change their plan then.
That may only be one example, but I have found other sites with 100% exact match anchor links that are ranking #1 for their keyword.
If penguin is BULLSHIT, then panda is HORSESHIT! Am I right?
There are millions of websites out there in WWW. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this research but doing research on a single website alone for a particular keyword is not enough to conclude the penguin algorithm. I've already quantified the observations done on 500+ sites and found that you've to have less than 30% of your total backlinks pointing to your homepage and the remaining 70% should be spread across all your sub-pages with varied anchor texts. A page with couple of pictures and bulletin points ranks a whole lot better than the page with big ass unique content written in a single paragraph.
I have one site EMD.org that has zero backlinks and it's #1 and other sites with more then 300 BL are #2-10
Some website do slip through the cracks. These algo's aren't perfect, but why take a chance?
I think penguin still is on the lose... I hear penguin still strikes websites. Maybe it hasn't come around to your niche yet?
You also have to keep in mind, that there will be blips. There are over 100 ranking factors the algorithm uses that we don't know about. My guess with the EMD is that as someone said, it will likely be penalised in the next refresh. Whenever a major update happens, the Viagra searches generally suck. They get fixed over time.
You could always try to negative SEO, but be careful because it may strengthen your competitors short term
Separate names with a comma.