1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initial Reconsideration Request - Question RE: Time To Wait Before Submitting

Discussion in 'White Hat SEO' started by marketmadness, Apr 22, 2014.

  1. marketmadness

    marketmadness Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2012
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    17
    Occupation:
    Self-employed, day-trader
    Location:
    Seattle
    Home Page:
    Good afternoon everyone.
    I'm looking for some "second" opinions regarding the submission of my first reconsideration request after a manual penalty. Here is where things stand at the moment.

    On the 16th of April the WMT account for the site received two messages for manual penalties, first for partial match--affects links, then a bit later a sitewide match--affects all.

    Google had just taken action against a blog network whose domains accounted for as much as 15-20% of our site's total referring domains, which is what caused the manual actions against us. Bummer, but at least it was easy to see what happened in this case. That isn't often the case with penalties these days.

    When we began backlink cleanup on the 16th we had 177 referring domains with about 1,800 links (but like 1,300 of those from just two sites, both out of our control (scraper type news/info sites), and both disavowed in any case).

    Because we knew the blog network to get busted it was easy to quickly clean up and/or disavow all of those links (most of these domains were no longer even live, with the hosting accounts having also just been suspended). We also just went ahead and took a "machete" to all of our self-built links from the early days, and disavowed any and all spammy comment links as well.

    Basically we feel that the backlink profile is essentially cleaned up at this point. But because it has been only 6 days from the time we received the penalty notice I don't want to submit the reconsideration request too quickly, even if it is ready. Knowing how google works I'm afraid they may just throw it out without much of a look even when they see it was submitted so quickly after the penalty passed down.

    The disavow file was given its final update just today, so I'm ready to go. But do you think I should? Or should I wait a bit? Maybe a week or two to let those disavow file links get recrawled first? Is that even important?

    This penalty was about a $500 per day hit so obviously I'd like to get back in the running as quickly as possible. But I'm also not exactly starving or anything and if waiting is the better move, then waiting is what I will do. I just want to find out if this site is salvageable ASAP so that I can get the a domain up and running instead and just move content there with 301s if needed for a temporary "churn and burn" solution while I rebuild a longer-term site back up from scratch. I think it is salvageable, but I have also wasted months before being wrong about that and I won't make that mistake again without a backup.

    Anyway, I gladly welcome any and all opinions regarding this matter. I'm quite "up in the air" about it myself. On the one hand, the work is done. But on the other hand, this is Google we're talking about here. Thanks guys!
    Regards,
    MM
     
  2. marketmadness

    marketmadness Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2012
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    17
    Occupation:
    Self-employed, day-trader
    Location:
    Seattle
    Home Page:
    And does anyone know of a particularly good resource/guide for how to properly prepare and submit a high-quality reconsideration request to improve your chances. I have found a guide or two out there on my own so far but considering how important this is I'm taking all the information I can get. Thanks all!
     
  3. marketmadness

    marketmadness Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2012
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    17
    Occupation:
    Self-employed, day-trader
    Location:
    Seattle
    Home Page:
    Well, since it would appear (based on 2 days with no responses) that I am the one and only person in this forum that knows the answer to this important question, I suppose I should now share that information.

    There is no set period of time after receiving a penalty or anything, but in the vast majority of cases you are going to want to wait at least a couple or few weeks. 30 days seems to be a good "rule of thumb" to go by. But the time is actually not that important itself, it is the EFFORT put into the process that matters. And if you submit a reconsideration request 5-days after a penalty, with barely any work done you ARE going to be rejected. On the other hand, if you only had say 100 ref. domains, and it only took you 5 days to clean up ALL the bad ones in there, then by all means you are probably all set for reconsideration. But with something so important, "better safe than sorry" is a good rule to live by.
    If I remember to do so I will update this thread in a few weeks when I know the result of my efforts.
    Cheers!
    MM
     
  4. albaniax

    albaniax Elite Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1,586
    Likes Received:
    823
    Location:
    GER - ALB
    For me in Germany 2x times, one bigger one with less links, both got lifted after around 2-3 weeks.
    Rankings increased gradually afterwards, not at once.

    I wrote the took much time to get everything together & contacted the owners but they don't respond. (Which what we did, .. a couple of times :p )