1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implementing Large-Scale Redirects

Discussion in 'White Hat SEO' started by springsking30265, Oct 1, 2013.

  1. springsking30265

    springsking30265 Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hello All,

    I have a situation with my site where a vendor created a local directory of locations on a sub-domain of my site. This sub-domain has approximately 2000 pages. It is a PR3 and a good backlink profile (not many links. Mostly citations. Not spammed). It get decent traffic but 80% of the traffic is driven by ppc.

    We have created a new local section on the main page of our website and we are trying to weigh the benefit of redirecting all of those pages on the old sub-domain. We anticipate that this new section will begin to replace the old sub-domain in serps. Additionally, when our deal with the company that manages this sub-domain ends in three months, the pages will no longer exist.

    Is it worth redirecting the pages (you might need more information to give good insight into that)? Also, if we do implement approx. 2000 redirects, what effect will that have on the main site from an SEO perspective. Is it possible that Google might ignore this large scale redirect effort? Will the value also be limited by the fact the redirect might only be live for a month before the original pages are deleted?

    Any help/insight with this would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Springsking30265
     
  2. UrsuAke

    UrsuAke Power Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Messages:
    700
    Likes Received:
    978
    Occupation:
    SEO Specialist.
    Location:
    Romania, land of choice
    Any redirect has 80% chances of succeeding. That being said, I understand that you have a subdomain with 2000 pages of content, you've moved it/replicated it on a folder category in your website. Is that correct?

    I assume it is, then, the contract with the company that posted that content will expire and you intent in keeping the traffic those 2000 pages generate so you want to redirect them to the counterparts created on your website. If you do that, you have 80% chances of keeping the current rankings and authority. If the redirects are done correctly and if each page is redirected to a relevant page (as per content) you shouldn't have any SEO issues or crysis. Still, there's a wildcard, those 20% chances of this not yielding results. That will be your risk.

    If I didn't understand this issue in a right way please correct me.
     
  3. nanavlad

    nanavlad Jr. VIP Jr. VIP Premium Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2009
    Messages:
    2,419
    Likes Received:
    892
    Gender:
    Male
    Occupation:
    SEO Consultant
    Location:
    Proxy Central
  4. springsking30265

    springsking30265 Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    2
    Thanks guys. we're looking to just completely get rid of the pages. They follow old seo practices (duplicated content with a page for each keyword) that we resolved with the new pages and provided a better user experience that helps users find the best location for them so we are looking to get the traffic over there. Additionally, the old content is junk anyway (keyword stuffed and reads like garbage so high bounce rate and low time on site).

    I think the bigger concern from my standpoint is would implementing that many redirects cause Google to say "they're up to something" and ignore or possibly hurt my site because of it? The other question would be since we have a page for each location (hundreds of locations), would it be wise to match up the old page to the new for user experience purposes or just have any page on the sub domain redirect to the top level page for the new directory?

    Thanks again.