1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iMacros Help - Recent Firefox Update Creating Problems in Reading CSV Files

Discussion in 'Black Hat SEO Tools' started by jayabraham, Mar 31, 2014.

  1. jayabraham

    jayabraham Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2011
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    Hi there. Firefox automatically updated today to version 28.0.

    Immediately after, my iMacros scripts stopped reading my CSV and throwing out an error. I ran the demo script with the demo (Address.csv) file and that worked fine. I replaced my original csv file in my script with the demo file (Address.csv) and that worked fine too. However, try as I might, no other CSV file works.

    So in a nutshell, I was able to isolate and identify the problem --- the CSV files that were being read just fine before the update are no longer being read correctly by the iMacros script. I have tried multiple permutations and combinations to get that CSV file to start working again. Tried creating new ones, but no go.

    If I rename the demo file Address.csv and use that in my script, it works fine. But if I change the content of the demo file Address.csv and save, it starts throwing out the same error again.

    Please Help! This is quite urgent.

    Thanks.
    Jay.
     
  2. jayabraham

    jayabraham Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2011
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    UPDATE: Based on my research, I believe its a problem with Encoding.

    Stop Gap Solution: Download Notepad++, Open the CSV file in Notepad++, Click on Encoding, Convert to UTF 8, Ctrl+S (Save), Close File. That CSV file should now be readable in your iMacros for Firefox V28.++.

    This is a terrible temporary fix. Especially if you have multiple CSVs running and you need to go in and make changes to your CSVs once every few days. However, it gets the job done for the time being.

    Hoping some of you'll faced with a similar problem find this update useful.

    Hoping someone smarter than me figures out a more permanent solution and posts it here.
     
  3. saurabh82

    saurabh82 BANNED BANNED

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2013
    Messages:
    1,227
    Likes Received:
    131
    use firefox old versions
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. jayabraham

    jayabraham Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2011
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    Thats what I finally did and it worked. Sticking to older versions of both FF and iMacros and that works fine.
     
  5. HoNeYBiRD

    HoNeYBiRD Jr. VIP Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    Messages:
    5,905
    Likes Received:
    7,140
    Gender:
    Male
    Occupation:
    Geographer, Tourism Manager
    Location:
    Ghosted
    what you posted above is a permanent solution, you need to change the encoding of every .csv only once
    this encoding issue is there in the standalone version, iMacros browser too, so it has nothing to do with Firefox

    you can use the latest version of Firefox, the latest version of the iMacros addon is not recommended though, i found it buggy (it can hang anywhere while running a macro for no reason), so i downgraded with one version
    Firefox: 33.1.1
    iMacros addon for Firefox: 8.8.2
    & macros are running smooth

    if you use older versions of Firefox that can be a security risk and may not work properly on all sites depending on how old the older version is