1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Competitors Chart

Discussion in 'Black Hat SEO' started by dragiia, Mar 30, 2015.

  1. dragiia

    dragiia BANNED BANNED

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2014
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    116
    My competitor has a chart of products that includes various important information, but the information is just the specifics about the product such as height, color, features, and price. If I copy this chart verbatim, but change the look of the chart, will I be ok Google wise? Is this even considered copyright because the information is just specific facts displayed on a chart?

    If I made my own chart, the information would have to be the same, so I can't see why it would matter, right?
     
  2. Mimissor

    Mimissor Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2014
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    West Coast, USA
    Is his chart an image or an actual table? If it's a table built into the website via html or whatever then it counts as content and if you duplicate it then google might care. If it's an image then well, you're clear.

    I'm actually not 100% certain on how google handles product information, since there's only so many different ways you can write them. I'm assuming that even if it is copied verbatim, if the rest of the on page content is unique then you should be okay. Like 10% of the page is the chart information and the other 90% is content that's high quality and unique.
     
  3. RuthSam

    RuthSam Jr. VIP Jr. VIP Premium Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    3,813
    Likes Received:
    976
    Gender:
    Male
    Home Page:
    You can just make something similar, change the sort order and colors if possible and you are fine. People have done this for years with some of our sites and you can do nothing about it.

    And yes, if it is a image, copy, rename and your fine.
     
  4. vfmseo

    vfmseo Jr. VIP Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2015
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    16
    Dear,
    I don't think so it would be considered as copyright because the chart contains the basic features of the product and it would be same for any seller across the world. In fact you are displaying information in your own designed chart, So it would not arise any copyright issue.
     
  5. nenelounnge

    nenelounnge Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    If he is the only one with that chart then it would both be copyright infringement and duplicate content with google.
     
  6. dragiia

    dragiia BANNED BANNED

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2014
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    116
    Duplicate content is when two pieces of the same content can be found on the same website. Duplicate content is not what I'm worried about.

    Those of you that said it wouldn't be copyright and others do it. I agree. I'm just going to copy the chart and switch the order of the column titles and take out a few of the products. I'm also going to add a few hundred words of unique content, that should also help as another suggested. Thanks.
     
  7. dragiia

    dragiia BANNED BANNED

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2014
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    116
    I'm copying the source code, not sure if that changes anything.