About two weeks ago, I ordered the 100 proxies a month package, being told several times that 70-75% of the proxies are US. Turns out 0% of the proxies are US. Not only that, but the lists has been only updated once since then, and, last time I checked, starting to have a high failure rate. Their customer service is very slow to nonexistent. I pmed both on 11/19 demanding a refund, and have had no reply since. I gave them about 2 weeks to get their act together and to live up to their promises, and they failed miserably in doing that. I am now waiting for a refund that will probably never happen, at least not without them reading this on a public forum.