So after hearing all the speculations regarding social signals and SEO, I decided to perform my own case study. Objective: To study social triggers and measure the effects of social sharing on SEO. I won't reveal my exact domain or keywords, but here are some details: Primary keyword has 15k exact global searches Secondary keyword has 110k exact global searches Domain is an EMD Domain is about 6 months old This is a fairly competitive technology niche. Very similar to 'iPad reviews' or 'Xbox 360' reviews. My primary keyword is plural, secondary keyword is singular. I bought the EMD 6 months ago, through up two unique articles, optimised the Wordpress theme, did very little/basic link building (2 or 3 SEnuke campaigns). The site got indexed but never ranked for anything. I didn't have time for the site and just left it dormant for 6 months with no updates or new backlinks. 10 days ago I started my case study. Here's exactly what I did: Uploaded a 400 word article Got 350 +1s to blog post (fiverr link) Got 1000 retweets (fiverr link) Got 40 FB shares, 40 retweets, 30 G+ shares (fiverr link) Rankings before case study Primary keyword: 0 Secondary keyword: 0 After 1 week Primary keyword: 6 Secondary keyword: 69 After 10 days Primary keyword: 5 Secondary keyword: 13 As you can see, the results were pretty damn conclusive. I have done no other backlinking. The site has only a few backlinks. I only started tracking traffic 3 days ago because I didn't expect results like this. Been getting 50 uniques a day at the moment. Just thrown some CPA on to the site earlier today so will report back with any revenue soon. My plan is to post a new article bi-weekly and repeat the process. Also testing this on another site which was ranking #5 prior to Penguin, and now nowhere to be seen. Will report back with any news.