I thought it might be good to start a thread to share some tips on how to avoid being shadowbanned by Reddit since a lot of people seem to want to know. It's really pretty easy to avoid being banned if you aren't spamming. For example, if you are creative in your copywriting skills, you will probably have almost no problems with bans especially if you aren't using links. If you are spamming links, on the other hand, here's a few tips that I have picked up...
- First and foremost, going into this...realize that Reddit really has amazing spam detection and is active in combatting it. Be prepared to lose accounts often and fast unless you are very careful.
- Log in using different IPs, try to keep it to one IP per account. If you don't, you could be chain banned.
- Use different browsers (or incognito mode) to login to different accounts or find a way to keep your fingerprint from being imprinted on your other accounts or again, you could be chain banned.
- If you are buying accounts, there is a good chance that these accounts used to be owned by someone else and the person who sold them to you got them through cracking them. You should be very careful. In my opinion, if you have the time, you should use the two methods above to make your own accounts so you can control the quality.
- Spend a bit of time (think days, not minutes) on the accounts before spamming. Commenting and posting to make the account look as genuine as usual. One way that Reddit finds these accounts is through user reports. If you look like a bot that is spamming, Redditers won't hesitate to mass report you.
- With that being said, you can keep accounts for quite awhile if you look very natural. In general, Reddit is more about quality than quantity but you can do it either way. (Better to spam multiple subreddits over a longer time period than say, 30 subreddits each 10 seconds apart from each other)
- If your links get your account banned on one subreddit, you should not send those links to that subreddit again unless you are fully prepared to lose another account and you will probably lose it fast. This would be the time to domain switch.
- Higher karma, longer aged, verified accounts tend to get banned less often than new accounts...
- Many of the public scripts and bots that you see have been fingerprinted and you should know how to do things like changing the user agent in the bot/script... some users claim that selenium based bots are safer but I have found PRAW style bots to be sufficient as long as you can avoid being fingerprinted.