1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not ranking for keyword after 1 month?

Discussion in 'White Hat SEO' started by gangsta1, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. gangsta1

    gangsta1 Regular Member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2009
    Messages:
    229
    Likes Received:
    20
    I found 3 keywords in my niche that had good search volume and little competition. I did some onsite SEO by placing the keywords in header tags, img tags and in the site text. Yet, one month on and the homepage where I did the SEO is not ranking for the keywords.

    Any ideas why? Is it because I have more or less NO backlinks with the keywords as anchor text? Will doing backlinks with the keyword as the anchor text get me ranked for those keywords. I dont care what page of results I appear on, just want to be ranked!

    **It seems for one of the keywords I am ranking in yahoo, but not in google..**
     
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. antsaoo

    antsaoo Supreme Member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Messages:
    1,291
    Likes Received:
    637
    Yes you will need backlinks. Links with the keyword your trying to rank with are good , but some variation doesn't hurt. Also you should maybe keep building more sites rather than get stuck with 1 =)
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. albaniax

    albaniax Elite Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1,586
    Likes Received:
    823
    Location:
    GER - ALB
    Congrats to your 1000th post :)
    I gave you my 2000th thanks, it just looks good to give it to you :p

    Yes, you need links. A lot's of them. The best are High PageRank Backlinks like PR 4 to 6 with your anchor.

    Use 80% your anchor and the rest 20% variations.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. germess

    germess Junior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    139
    Location:
    Terra incognita
    If there is a little competition you just a 15-20 quality backlinks with anchor text and your site will fall in love with Google.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. hpv222

    hpv222 Power Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    Messages:
    736
    Likes Received:
    274
    If you could get a good position within a month, then the keyword is not a sought-after one and even if you get to No1, you will end up getting a very few clicks; everything that is worth ranking for takes a bit more than 30 days + quite a bit of links
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. BassTrackerBoats

    BassTrackerBoats Moderator Staff Member Moderator Jr. VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    12,780
    Likes Received:
    22,025
    Occupation:
    I don't actually have a job
    Location:
    It's an Algo, of course it can be gamed.
    Home Page:
    After you build the backlinks as suggested above, build backlinks to those backlinks using your targeted anchor text. You'll get ranked that way.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. seoitright

    seoitright Regular Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    23
    Location:
    Out There!
    Lots and lots of backlinks using anchor text as the keywords you placed in your meta code. Try and build a mix of backlinks. i.e. links wheels, profile links, articles etc..
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. gangsta1

    gangsta1 Regular Member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2009
    Messages:
    229
    Likes Received:
    20
    Thank you for the replies!

    So is it normal that despite having the keywords on my homepage (alt tags, heading, body text) the site is not AT ALL in google's search results for the keywords because I have no backlinks??