I read a lot of talk about Findology.com and where to buy junk traffic here on BHW. Most of the feedback was ok but this was not my experience so in balance i wrote this review. I joined FO about 6 weeks ago... Joining up When I joined I used a code for $50 free credit which I thought was cool, great way to try out a service. I also had to buy credit too so i picked up $100. The free credit was not added to my account so I emailed support and after a couple of days bugging them I got my credit. Before your account is made live you have to call their security department to verify your ID, this is after they have taken payment from your credit card. I wasn't very happy with that as calling them from my country would cost $20+ and they don't mention it before you pay. I emailed them and to their credit we did it all over email, again this took a couple of days to sort out but I was getting there. Using the Service Using Findology is fairly straight forward you write an ad, you can geo target you can track who your traffic is coming from and you can use dynamic keywords in ads. There is no way to control traffic speed; you do this by emailing support - This can be time consuming and i found it really fustrating. Unfortunately there is no documentation or help on how to use tracking or how to understand the results. I emailed my account manager but they did not reply, in fact I asked for help, advice or if they had an FAQ in several occasions and they pretty much palmed me off or ignored me completely. I found it could take 24+ plus for my ads to be approved and sometimes when they were approved they would not run - Again I emailed support but they did not fix it. In the end I found it easier to make a new ad. Traffic Quality I know this is JUNK/CRAP/SHIT traffic but even by those standards the quality was somewhere in the middle of mediocre to crap. I got a lot of hits from the same IP's per 24 hr period and 80% of it had a time on site time of 0 seconds, this might look bad to CPA companies when watering down your CTR. On beginning a campaign the traffic runs extremely fast so set a very low budget or you will be broke in no time. In total it took me 9 days of emailing support to get traffic running at the right speed, some emails where ignored. My traffic ran perfectly for 1 week then it became erratic going fast then very slow then stopped. Further emails to correct this problem where not replied to and I gave up - time to make a new campaign. Payments and Billing - The Big Rip-off! All of the above I can turn a blind eye to... but what happened next I cannot.... When you setup a new camping you need to suspend it and set a daily budget or it will run out of control - they don't tell you this but it is blindingly obvious, even to a complete n00b. I set up a new campaign as I have done several times, I set my daily budget to $0.01 and suspend the campaign (double protection) so when it is authorised it will not run wild and eat all my money. I also refresh the page to see if the suspend and budget have taken hold. Because my money is important to me I also log off and log back in and check that budget/suspend have been applied (triple protection). You can imagine my shock to log on the next day and find that my account had -$260 (yes that's a minus!) As I triple check myself every campaign I know for a fact I did not fuck up. That means that someone changed my campaign or there is a problem with their system, frankly I don't fucking care either way. I emailed support again (polite and professional as always) and they said they would look into it after the weekend - great! More time without traffic! I waited 4 days before I emailed them back to ask what was going on and I got a reply in 5 mins saying that it was my fault and that I would not get my money back and I would have to pay the bill of $260. So I send an email back telling them about the procedure I use to triple check my settings, I just want this sorted so I tell them to $0 my balance as a compromise... it's been 10 days and they have not had the courtesy to email me back. Conclusion Overall the system was fairly easy to use but that is where the praise ends. In my experience it was let down by slow support/ignored emails, inconsistent traffic speed, billing irregularities, no help documentation, repeated hits from single IPs (sometimes 50 a day from 1 IP). I would not recommend this service to anyone unless I hated them and wanted them to die. I am cutting my relationship with Findology because: They do not deliver on their promises. Support is slow and often useless. They have basically ripped me off with a lot of money. If they pull this stunt on you what you can do is change your billing information to that of a VCC with $0 balance, when they try to take the payment it will obviously bounce. There is nothing you can do about the money that goes from your + account balance. I hope this helps someone avoid the same headaches I have had with FO, In my hunt for good bulk traffic services I'm going to try adbrite next as they were recommended by a helpful fellow BHW member (PauloPT), I will try to post a review of them in 6-8 weeks.