I plan to test out this idea I have about building a consulting/coaching business in the education niche (not IM education, but math/science). It'll kind of be like tutoring except that it will be aimed more at guidance, motivation, and building hope for students that either might be doing poorly or just want to get ahead in the academic rat race (better grades, better college acceptances, etc.). I haven't been taking any action. My last hope is to start this thread to keep myself accountable. I'm gonna make a few goals to do every day. The reason I want to give this a shot is because when I tell people about my own story they find it pretty interesting and they tell me I should mentor them. But at the same time my story is very non-traditional. I wasn't a straight A , standardized test wizard in H.S. I actually almost failed out. Then I failed out of college and later dropped out. But then I got in 2 solid years after consulting with a mentor for 3 months. I went from failing or dropping out of my first 3 semesters of community college (and having to petition and go through a bunch of politics to get back in) to finally passing my last semester of my 2nd year. Around this time I met up with this guy who mentored me for a few months and because of the shift he created and how I looked at learning I ended up getting almost straight As my next two years. I shockingly was then admitted to a top 25 national university where I graduated with honors and outperformed 80% of the students that started their as freshman (the straight A, AP class wizards) based on my GPA. Later I was admitted to multiple top tier graduate programs. I'm a little scared that many parents seeking academic tutoring/guidance want the traditional wiz kid who has been a genius since day 1. But even if they are not interested, I still feel like I will relate to a certain demographic that can identify with my background. I remember Dave Sharpe from EN saying something about targeting the 3% or so that you can identify with you and not trying to sell to the other 97% (not sure if that's exactly what he said, but that's the best I could remember it.) So my first course of action will be to survey the market and see how many people would be interested in this kind of service. So I'm gonna make 1 goal every day. Just something, so that I build a track record of consistently taking action. So today my goal is the following: Feb 23rd: Put together a short survey email that I could send to parents to see if they'd be interested in my business Feb 24th: Search craigslist and academic forums and try to find 20 parents or students to email with my survey. Then figure out what my goal for the 25th will be.