If a new .nz doesn’t resolve straight away, how long is too long?

nicenic

Senior Member
Jr. VIP
Joined
May 3, 2013
Messages
997
Reaction score
268
InternetNZ is proposing a new check for some fresh .nz registrations.

If a domain is under 14 days old and gets flagged for validation, it could stay out of DNS while the holder details are checked. The draft says the hold should be removed as soon as practical if everything checks out, but there’s no fixed maximum time.

If you had just registered the domain for a site, how long would you be okay waiting before it became a problem?

Source:
https://internetnz.nz/nz-domains/nz-rules-and-schedules/consultations-have-your-say/
 
InternetNZ is proposing a new check for some fresh .nz registrations.

If a domain is under 14 days old and gets flagged for validation, it could stay out of DNS while the holder details are checked. The draft says the hold should be removed as soon as practical if everything checks out, but there’s no fixed maximum time.

If you had just registered the domain for a site, how long would you be okay waiting before it became a problem?

Source:
https://internetnz.nz/nz-domains/nz-rules-and-schedules/consultations-have-your-say/
Never really thought about checking SSL certificates on domains I'm not using yet. I mostly just keep track of renewals. Interesting point though, definitely something worth looking into.
 
Never really thought about checking SSL certificates on domains I'm not using yet. I mostly just keep track of renewals. Interesting point though, definitely something worth looking into.
Yeah, renewals are usually what people watch. With a new .nz held for verification, even a rough ETA would help. It's hard to tell a customer their site's ready but you don't know when the domain will start working.
 
Yeah, renewals are usually what people watch. With a new .nz held for verification, even a rough ETA would help. It's hard to tell a customer their site's ready but you don't know when the domain will start working.

yeah thats the worst part, id just tell the client up to 48h and be happy if its sooner
 
InternetNZ is proposing a new check for some fresh .nz registrations.

If a domain is under 14 days old and gets flagged for validation, it could stay out of DNS while the holder details are checked. The draft says the hold should be removed as soon as practical if everything checks out, but there’s no fixed maximum time.

If you had just registered the domain for a site, how long would you be okay waiting before it became a problem?

Source:
https://internetnz.nz/nz-domains/nz-rules-and-schedules/consultations-have-your-say/
A day or two is manageable, but anything longer could hurt if the site is ready to launch.
 
Since you are not also certain the specific time the domain will start pushing for traffic, it will be difficult giving a client specific time. For me I usually tell them 5days max then go and pray it is resolved sooner than later. And it usually does though after a lot of tension
 
InternetNZ is proposing a new check for some fresh .nz registrations.

If a domain is under 14 days old and gets flagged for validation, it could stay out of DNS while the holder details are checked. The draft says the hold should be removed as soon as practical if everything checks out, but there’s no fixed maximum time.

If you had just registered the domain for a site, how long would you be okay waiting before it became a problem?

Source:
https://internetnz.nz/nz-domains/nz-rules-and-schedules/consultations-have-your-say/
A day or two seems reasonable, but longer delays could hurt new projects. There should be a clear maximum review period.
 
Back
Top