my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 45 of 47
So yeah, looks like shit face google updates has also caught up with my local ...
  1. #1
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    So yeah, looks like shit face google updates has also caught up with my local business website! I was ranking pretty well now no where to be found unless you type in the actual URL in to the search.

    Funnily enough, my facebook page for the business is now at No3 for my main keyword!

    Quick question, does webmaster tools show if you'd been effected by an update or penalty?

    Some info on my site:

    Its PR2, has lots on info on it, lots of pages, a blog, sitemap, the URL is my company name with no niche topic I the URL, good on page SEO but I would say not excessive, I have pre-bought the domain for 10 years (10 years still to run) thinking that this would help the serp's, I have a twitter (updated often), facebook (updated often and with 141 REAL likes), linked in, Googlwe+ (no black hat here at all) etc etc for my site, I have a listing for all the local directory/citation sites, I have great reviews on lots of sites including Places, Yell etc, no google updated has effected me before, it has my full address, privacy policy etc on it and its generally a clean, safe site that has always converted great!

    I have not done link building since 2010/2011. << YES, a lot of black hat links! Well, they where all created manually by myself. A lot of forum links, social bookmarks, article directory's, Angie's and Paul's profiles etc etc. No link wheels though, well I think I might have a Web 2.0 link wheel, I need to check my records.

    Webmaster tools is showing 1,346 backlinks from 246 domains "that have links to pages on your site". A huge portion of these backlinks are anchored to my main keyword. One, 3 word keyword! I would guess 90% are like that. A lot of none relevant sites are linked to my domain.
    All my local directory/citation sites are linked to my URL or brand name. For example Yell, freeindex, yelp, qype etc...

    So my question is.... If I start deleting those shit links (webmaster tools has luckily given me a list of sites linking back to my URL) will this aid the recovery?

    What else can I do? apart from buying a new domain name and starting from scratch. The problem is that its my business name in the URL so I'd hate to lose it!

    Any help from you experts would be greatly helped!!

    Many thanks




  2. #2
    archon10 is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Removing the bad links will help, but it's a long long long road to recovery.

  3. #3
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    here are the top sites linking to my site!

    truckmountforums.com 195 1 (forum)
    sitepoint.com 167 1 (forum)
    tritalk.co.uk 87 1 (forum)
    yell.com 78 1 (local directory/citation )
    chime.in 42 10 (bookmark)
    warriorforum.com 24 1 (forum)
    placeslocally.co.uk 22 1 (directory/citation)
    atozdirectory.info 20 1 (directory)
    ukclassifieds.co.uk 19 1 (directory)
    inscotland24.co.uk 18 1 (directory)
    freshome.com 16 1 (blog post)
    bigmoneybox.com 15 1 (forum)
    technorati.com 15 9
    xihalife.com 14 1 (forum or porfile)
    designpublic.com 14 1 (blog post)
    seoprofiler.com 11 7
    womantribune.com 11 1 (blog post)
    amazines.com 10 7 (article site)
    alternativeconsumer.com 10 1 (blog post)
    glosslip.com 9 7
    shopedinburgh.com 9 1 (directory)
    ewealth.com 9 1 (forum)
    oscommerce.com 9 1 (forum)
    copub.com 9 1 (profile or forum)
    findyourlink.info 9 1

  4. #4
    archon10 is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    I definitely wouldn't want a .in linking to me. Those are all spam sites.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to archon10 For This Useful Post:

    tony20 (10-07-2013)

  6. #5
    larrydetuvi is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 69 Times in 50 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Misunderstood previous post, but I think forum profiles did it.
    Last edited by larrydetuvi; 10-07-2013 at 10:44 PM.

  7. #6
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    there's a lot of useless forum and blog posts. none relevant..

    There's also been a lot of changes to my site recently. All for the good, nothing black hat on the site. All genuine content hand written by me! I also changed the site over from joomla to wordpress a few months ago.

    Before that, I had not worked on my site since 2010/2011 and was bringing in a lot of leads!! So annoyed now...

    Could this of harmed the site? nothing for ages, then a lot of changes over a few months?

  8. #7
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    warrior forum got over me? I don't understand?

    I just created the account there so I could drop my link in the sig.

    All those links (and a lot more) where created in 2009/2010 and few in 2011

  9. #8
    TheLinkGuy's Avatar
    TheLinkGuy is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 118 Times in 97 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    I have not done link building since 2010/2011. << YES, a lot of black hat links! Well, they where all created manually by myself. A lot of forum links, social bookmarks, article directory's, Angie's and Paul's profiles etc etc. No link wheels though, well I think I might have a Web 2.0 link wheel, I need to check my records.
    That is your problem right there, shitty links are killing rankings regardless of when they were built.

    One of my sites sounds oddly familiar with your history, no links built for years but similar style links and it tanked with the latest algo update.

    You need to remove the links and clean up the backlink profile if you want to rank well again.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLinkGuy For This Useful Post:

    Goal Line Technology (10-07-2013), tony20 (10-07-2013)

  11. #9
    Goal Line Technology's Avatar
    Goal Line Technology is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    935
    Thanks
    2,483
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,082 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    If I start deleting those shit links (webmaster tools has luckily given me a list of sites linking back to my URL) will this aid the recovery?
    Yes, and it is not a maybe, this is a must before reconsideration your next move,
    and I dont think you need to consider new domain (301 or otherwise) yet!!!

    Also, I assume you have all the lcoal seo plugins on WP, (clean up your onpage SEO)
    and get new FRESH links from more UK and Scottish sources,
    make them relevant and current to Edinburgh (if thats what your site is about)
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Goal Line Technology; 10-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goal Line Technology For This Useful Post:

    Moosey (10-07-2013), smartalex (10-08-2013), tony20 (10-07-2013)

  13. #10
    archon10 is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLinkGuy View Post
    One of my sites sounds oddly familiar with your history, no links built for years but similar style links and it tanked with the latest algo update.
    I thought you said in another thread that you were going to continue to own Google. I guess Google pwnd your site, so were you thinking you were going to take over Google in the future? Please suggest me. I don't understand.

  14. #11
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    I'm f***ing scared to get backlinks relevant, white hat or otherwise now

  15. #12
    archon10 is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    I'm f***ing scared to get backlinks relevant, white hat or otherwise now
    You should be. None of the spamming people here suggest is safe. The people who know how to buy links aren't posting it publicly.

  16. #13
    pompano's Avatar
    pompano is offline Jr. VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    519
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 200 Times in 119 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    remove the bad links and start building good ones. That is your best bet, I have seen some clients have the same problem. They had spam links built by someone in 2010 and it got them this update.

  17. #14
    TheLinkGuy's Avatar
    TheLinkGuy is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 118 Times in 97 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by archon10 View Post
    I thought you said in another thread that you were going to continue to own Google. I guess Google pwnd your site, so were you thinking you were going to take over Google in the future? Please suggest me. I don't understand.
    One website tanked that I was banking on for 3 years without any linking and simple linkspam?

    I'd say I raped Google well enough. All my other sites are ranking well. GG Matt Cutts, you bad troll.

  18. #15
    Goal Line Technology's Avatar
    Goal Line Technology is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    935
    Thanks
    2,483
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,082 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by archon10 View Post
    You should be. None of the spamming people here suggest is safe. The people who know how to buy links aren't posting it publicly.
    thats not entirely 100% true...


    I understand what you are saying, but there are good quality BST's in BHW,
    which perhaps OP should also consider?

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Goal Line Technology For This Useful Post:

    Moosey (10-07-2013)

  20. #16
    topdown's Avatar
    topdown is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fiverr :)
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 40 Times in 26 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    What's your targeted anchor text ratio? Even though you have the backlinks mentioned earlier, if they're targeting the same keywords is what it has triggered a penalty. Usually people when they link out naturally they won't use targeted keywords, more of "here", "link", etc your job is to simulate all that sh*t if you're building the links.

  21. #17
    amerriaz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    never get backlinks a worst way to damage your website

  22. #18
    Moosey's Avatar
    Moosey is offline Jr. VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    766
    Thanked 647 Times in 381 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Line Technology View Post
    Yes, and it is not a maybe, this is a must before reconsideration your next move,
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Line Technology View Post
    and I dont think you need to consider new domain (301 or otherwise) yet!!!

    Also, I assume you have all the lcoal seo plugins on WP, (clean up your onpage SEO)
    and get new FRESH links from more UK and Scottish sources,
    make them relevant and current to Edinburgh (if thats what your site is about)
    Good Luck

    This, exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by amerriaz View Post
    never get backlinks a worst way to damage your website
    Lol WHAT? I think you need to reconsider your IM knowledge.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moosey For This Useful Post:

    Goal Line Technology (10-08-2013), smartalex (10-08-2013)

  24. #19
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    thanks guys. So first step is to remove all those crap links. I'll start tonight.

    So I presume I'll have no mention of a penalty in webmaster tools?

    And me updating the site a lot recently after years of not doing anything has not harmed the site rankings?

    I know this is the million dollar question but what are regarded as good/safe links these days?

    The good thing is my completion is total crap! I mean some of the sites I am competing agenst are very poor in links and design.

    The site at No1 is a emd in the form of >> this-is-his-domain.co.uk

    My keyword density on the homepage is 2.05%. Is this too high?

  25. #20
    Duffers5000's Avatar
    Duffers5000 is offline Jr. VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cheshire : Leinster
    Posts
    2,176
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,363 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    I would advise you to chill out and wait for the algo to finish. That might be another two weeks. If you start deleting links now then you may as well turn yourself in to google.

    I have a site with similar stats that disappeared completely. I don't expect it to just re appear but I will wait to see what sort of recovery it makes in the next 10 days before I start doing anything drastic.


  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffers5000 For This Useful Post:

    Henrik8000 (10-08-2013), whynotmakeit (10-08-2013)

  27. #21
    SerpEvil's Avatar
    SerpEvil is offline Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Top 3 On Google
    Posts
    1,255
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 338 Times in 226 Posts

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to SerpEvil For This Useful Post:

    badrman2 (10-08-2013)

  29. #22
    dafoss's Avatar
    dafoss is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Duffers5000 View Post
    I would advise you to chill out and wait for the algo to finish. That might be another two weeks. If you start deleting links now then you may as well turn yourself in to google.

    I have a site with similar stats that disappeared completely. I don't expect it to just re appear but I will wait to see what sort of recovery it makes in the next 10 days before I start doing anything drastic.
    couldn't agree more we all just need to calm down

  30. #23
    DamageX's Avatar
    DamageX is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    2,622
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 733 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by amerriaz View Post
    never get backlinks a worst way to damage your website
    Don't quit your dayjob.

  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DamageX For This Useful Post:

    ddederick (10-08-2013), gatekept (10-09-2013), Meloman (10-09-2013), TZ2011 (10-08-2013)

  32. #24
    mikie46's Avatar
    mikie46 is offline Jr. VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 343 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    SEO as we know it is so fucked up nobody and i mean nobody knows what is going on. Its so screwed up that the WSO's and new products coming out are mostly software. Have you noticed that?

    and it amazes me to see more and more link building packages appearing in the forsale threads that say, PANDA SAFE and CRUSH YOUR COMPETITION when nobody knows where SEO is heading.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikie46 For This Useful Post:

    badrman2 (10-08-2013), TZ2011 (10-08-2013)

  34. #25
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    thanks for the replys guy. so i'll give it 10 days before removing back links. its a nightmare as i rely on leads from google as new work is hard to come by now a days.

  35. #26
    Stufferizer's Avatar
    Stufferizer is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Hi tony,

    don't worry, the situation is not that bad. You just have ~1k links from which maybe around 500-700 are bad.
    Just build 100-200 quality links the next one or two months and you'll be fine.
    I am sure you will find a decent provider on this website

  36. #27
    Camouf is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Top 10
    Posts
    300
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 67 Times in 56 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stufferizer View Post
    Hi tony,

    don't worry, the situation is not that bad. You just have ~1k links from which maybe around 500-700 are bad.
    Just build 100-200 quality links the next one or two months and you'll be fine.
    I am sure you will find a decent provider on this website
    Could you suggest what anchor text to use? I mean just use naked url only for example?

  37. #28
    Scritty's Avatar
    Scritty is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,155 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    There really is some sensationlist ill informed shit on this thread.
    I mean real SHIT - general advice given about forum links. The guy gives a list of 20 links to a 10 year old website and you're analysing it like it means something.

    Seriously - links may be the issue - they may not.

    Penguin is still creating a LOT of noise in SERPs
    Many social media sites are dominating page one for commercial terms as placeholders while the shuffle goes on (Facebook pages, Twitter posts etc) this always happens. Happened with P1, and the 4 updates between then and now. it shows that NOTHING HAS SETTLED YET

    Without knowing the guys site, niche and competition in detail I can't see how anyone can give decent advice. Stating absolute facts based on the tiny snippets we know is not good SEO..in fact it's BOLLOCKS

    There are people here I respect talking out of their box, I can anly assume they have had a tote on the wacky grass before coming out.

    One thing is almost certain!
    If you've been sandboxed - you have paid links or been part of a link scheme 99.9% certainty.

    Now let's get out terms straight here. I'm talking Sandboxed.. not demoted, deranked, shuffled down. I'm taling your site does not appear in the top 1000 for any term it used to rank for other than if you type in the exact URL into Google. That's sandboxed.

    I'm not talking about "used to be page one now I'm page two"...
    ... that's a shuffle. You have not been penalized, for the time being Google just thinks some other site is better than yours. Add content, link sensibly - but only AFTER the SERP movement noise has clamed down, and that might be abother 10 days yet.

    But if you have been SANDBOXED - really SANDBOXED.. Site gone - not "demoted" but "gone" - then it's is almost certain that you have - or Google thinks you have paid links or private network links. Sad thing is most people with these don't even know they have them!

    The owner will say "I've never bought private links". In the 13 consultations I've done since Saturday morning every single one (I kid you not..every single one) stated they had not bought private links. Some swore blind. But then.. 12 of them had.
    Webmasters who didn't understand that certain "services" were in fact offering private links without making it explicit that this was what they were.

    Here are some of the things that private link networks were described as that fooled the webamsters into thinking they were safe.

    "Special Sauce" - The special sauce was subbing some of the work to a company that stuck your links on a private network
    "We'll promote your site on our own blogs" - Think about it...that's a private network then isn't it.
    "Guaranteed Guest Post Blog".. It was guaranteed because the blogs were...you guessed it - a private network
    "Links Guaranteed on Home Page" ..erm how can they do that... Unless the network is private? Simple they can't and the network IS private.

    That's just scratching the surface. I've seen $9 WSO's that turned out they were private links. One was some guys redundant blog network that got wiped out in the EMD levelling last year. Just making a few bucks before the next PR update... All the same it was a private network, and Google sandboxed the webmasters site it linked to.

    If you type in "SEO backlink service" into Google then around 8 of the top 10 services all offer private links of some kind.
    ZERO out of those actually name them as such. I would name names but many of these services advertise here so I won't. It's almost done without saying. Small scale, big scale, and so often not advertised. I want to KNOW if my links are on private networks not have to guess. Sadly if you buy services these days, the ones that offer REAL POWER..with SPEED can only manage that mix of speed and power by offering guaranteed high PR sites on link networks.

    But for now do nothing. And for f$cks sake 20 pretty ordinary (not egregious - just "meh") links across a site ten years old is not going to get you sandboxed. If that was all it took I could take down 100,000 sites a day with a $47 tool like scrapebox.
    Negative SEO does exist, but it's not that fine a line. Hold on. See what happens. Check any services you have used for private links. Check that none of your competitors haven't signed you up for private links.

    One of the guys I chat to (Hi Martin) is using Elancer - hiring a pro to get his reconsideration request done. Looking on there, $200 bucks and a few weeks are what it takes - then you need to build up again - but it may not come to that. Wait till the 20th Ocotber before doing ANYTHING.

    Scritty


  38. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Scritty For This Useful Post:

    Duffers5000 (10-08-2013), gatekept (10-09-2013), Goal Line Technology (10-08-2013), marcus528 (10-09-2013), meannn (10-10-2013), Meloman (10-09-2013), mpr3ssive (10-09-2013), saonbd (10-09-2013), slickturn (10-08-2013), stugz (10-08-2013), Techxan (10-10-2013), tony20 (10-08-2013), Voidray (10-08-2013), whynotmakeit (10-08-2013)

  39. #29
    goosefrabah's Avatar
    goosefrabah is online now Jr. VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 64 Times in 47 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    I have to agree with Scritty here. Forum profile links are not the best, but when your site has been around for 10 years, they may very well have been natural. If you have thousands of them, you might have found your culprit. I would give it two weeks before making any drastic decisions.

  40. #30
    PrinceVisi's Avatar
    PrinceVisi is offline I am Tropojan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tropoja
    Posts
    1,532
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked 778 Times in 406 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!


    Disavow all the links and Build new high PR links as guest blogs or blog posts to relevant niche sites!

    Report back if they helped...


  41. #31
    Voidray's Avatar
    Voidray is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 489 Times in 149 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    I'm f***ing scared to get backlinks relevant, white hat or otherwise now
    Exactly what Google wants.

  42. #32
    Jeager is offline Newbies
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Everyone says the same thing, "Remove the bad links and start building good ones"

    1) What are good links?

    2) "Building links" seems to be what is getting everyone slapped, since building links is against their new TOS that they change every couple months to slap more people..

  43. #33
    Scritty's Avatar
    Scritty is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,155 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceVisi View Post

    Disavow all the links and Build new high PR links as guest blogs or blog posts to relevant niche sites!

    Report back if they helped...
    Fuck me -the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

    Do NONE of the above - based on the information you've given (OP) here.
    This "disavow all your links and start again" crap isn't just "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" it's then blowing up the bath, bulldozing your house then carpet bombing the fucking neighborhood.

    Chances are - if you've been sandboxed REALLY sandboxed, that oy have paid links. Find those and ONLY THOSE and get rid. Other than that add content and link sensibly to it. Expect the process to take weeks not days or hours though.
    Years ago I always had a "3 month security" plicy. If the shit did ever hit the fan I had 3 months average income in a savings account. 90 days to turn things around.
    Used it more than once over the years, but never more than 2 months worth. Better safe than sorry

    Scritty

  44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scritty For This Useful Post:

    madoctopus (10-08-2013), stugz (10-08-2013), tony20 (10-08-2013), whynotmakeit (10-08-2013)

  45. #34
    PrinceVisi's Avatar
    PrinceVisi is offline I am Tropojan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tropoja
    Posts
    1,532
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked 778 Times in 406 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scritty View Post
    Fuck me -the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

    Do NONE of the above - based on the information you've given (OP) here.
    This "disavow all your links and start again" crap isn't just "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" it's then blowing up the bath, bulldozing your house then carpet bombing the fucking neighborhood.

    Chances are - if you've been sandboxed REALLY sandboxed, that oy have paid links. Find those and ONLY THOSE and get rid. Other than that add content and link sensibly to it. Expect the process to take weeks not days or hours though.
    Years ago I always had a "3 month security" plicy. If the shit did ever hit the fan I had 3 months average income in a savings account. 90 days to turn things around.
    Used it more than once over the years, but never more than 2 months worth. Better safe than sorry

    Scritty
    I actually meant to disavow the links that are bad, no the whole links.

    You don't need to bitch about it so much. Plus I sent you a PM trying to get a recommendation on services here, forget the fucking PM.

    Hope you are making more money, then talking.

  46. The Following User Says Thank You to PrinceVisi For This Useful Post:

    Scritty (10-08-2013)

  47. #35
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Thanks for your input Scritty, sounds like sound advice.

    I can sure you though that there are no paid links or private blog network links. No one has hand their hands on my site. I have never paid for any seo services. The whole site was built by me, and I'll put my hands up too creating those crap links I have already posted about.

    I know I only showed you guys about 20 links, but all the backlinks are like that! i.e. crap, no PR, no relevance, same anchor text backlinks.

    Can I also add that I have been doing a lot of facebook and twitter marketing lately (the last two months).
    When I say marketing I mean adding likes (real likes) to facebook and updating my facebook page with mini snippets about my service and then linking the said service with the appropriate page to my site! Some times these links where raw and sometimes they where hidden using ow.ly.

    I copied the same facebook messages I posted, and pasted them to my (no followers) twitter page.

    Unlikely but do you think this has something to do with my sandboxing?

    Scritty, would you mind if I pm'd you my site?

  48. #36
    TehEpidemick is offline Banned - see signature
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Woah
    Posts
    776
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 169 Times in 119 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    ouch. id disavow everything and go more whitehat my good sir
    This member has been permanently banned from BHW.

  49. #37
    madoctopus's Avatar
    madoctopus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,190
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked 3,068 Times in 920 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    The type of advice some people give around here is so lame I'm amazed.

    I won't give you any advice myself because I don't like to try to revive a dead horse. I just move on because I have the infrastructure to recreate an entire site in a couple of days with minimum cost. That's me, though.

    As much as I'd like to say I know what to do in case of a penalty, truth is, I don't. Likely I will never know. Google is so erratic about some penalties that as logical as I am I can't figure out what was the cause of a penalty. I had 100% whitehat sites with super high quality content get penalized and I have 100% blackhat sites with gibberish content rank well for a long time. Had sites with quality links get killed and had sites with crap links stand up straight through every update (my definition of crap links is different than most people though).

    Bottom line is, sooner or later any SEO that know what's best for him will end up going blackhat and building sites that he doesn't care if they get penalized or not. This is not the SEO trying to game Google, this is the SEO surviving Google's rules. When you can't obey rules and do well, you go against the rules or you die. This is not just something Google is trying to fight against, this is something Google itself created by trying to cope with the inherent flaw in their algorithms (which will exist no matter what they do). Instead of trying to do their job passively they started to impose crap on webmasters. Do this, do not do that. Make links nofollow, don't sell llinks, etc. WTF are they to tell a webmaster he is not allowed to monetize his site however he wants (sell links)?! Really. People take shit for granted and don't stop and think. The web was naturally a very open place where everybody linked to anything without any restraint. That's how the web should be. But it ended up being a place where people won't even consider linking to you unless you pay them or they have something to gain. That's just fucking ugly. Is like Wkipedia would not have a page about Microsoft because Microsoft didn't agreed to pay to have a page. And btw, those who want to sell links can sell links and not get penalized bc they are treated preferentially. I can tell you it is possible to buy links (actually posts/news/stories/etc.) on huge sites like bbc.co.uk, cnn.com, nytimes.com etc. You'd have to be a bit out of your mind to pay $500-2000 for a post there but some do because they also get the traffic and stuff and for them that's worth it. Point is, it's still a paid link.

    Good luck but don't get stuck into the "OMG my site is gone!" mindset and don't try to spend or your resources in trying to revive it. Unless you were making $50,000-100,000/mo with that site is just simpler to start fresh. In the long run the effort you put in and the resources you consume make it "cheaper" and more worthwhile. Try to recover it if possible but have your focus to the future not to the past. Also, just as it was the case with me, something like this can be a great eye opener to the importance to avoid keeping all eggs in one basket. In other words it is best to have at least several sites, money streams, hosts, registrars, everything. Is a logistical nightmare until you get the hang of it but in the long run it makes the entire operation safer.

  50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madoctopus For This Useful Post:

    Lalalaenhund (10-08-2013), UNCLEBUCK (10-10-2013)

  51. #38
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by madoctopus View Post
    The type of advice some people give around here is so lame I'm amazed.

    I won't give you any advice myself because I don't like to try to revive a dead horse. I just move on because I have the infrastructure to recreate an entire site in a couple of days with minimum cost. That's me, though.

    As much as I'd like to say I know what to do in case of a penalty, truth is, I don't. Likely I will never know. Google is so erratic about some penalties that as logical as I am I can't figure out what was the cause of a penalty. I had 100% whitehat sites with super high quality content get penalized and I have 100% blackhat sites with gibberish content rank well for a long time. Had sites with quality links get killed and had sites with crap links stand up straight through every update (my definition of crap links is different than most people though).

    Bottom line is, sooner or later any SEO that know what's best for him will end up going blackhat and building sites that he doesn't care if they get penalized or not. This is not the SEO trying to game Google, this is the SEO surviving Google's rules. When you can't obey rules and do well, you go against the rules or you die. This is not just something Google is trying to fight against, this is something Google itself created by trying to cope with the inherent flaw in their algorithms (which will exist no matter what they do). Instead of trying to do their job passively they started to impose crap on webmasters. Do this, do not do that. Make links nofollow, don't sell llinks, etc. WTF are they to tell a webmaster he is not allowed to monetize his site however he wants (sell links)?! Really. People take shit for granted and don't stop and think. The web was naturally a very open place where everybody linked to anything without any restraint. That's how the web should be. But it ended up being a place where people won't even consider linking to you unless you pay them or they have something to gain. That's just fucking ugly. Is like Wkipedia would not have a page about Microsoft because Microsoft didn't agreed to pay to have a page. And btw, those who want to sell links can sell links and not get penalized bc they are treated preferentially. I can tell you it is possible to buy links (actually posts/news/stories/etc.) on huge sites like bbc.co.uk, cnn.com, nytimes.com etc. You'd have to be a bit out of your mind to pay $500-2000 for a post there but some do because they also get the traffic and stuff and for them that's worth it. Point is, it's still a paid link.

    Good luck but don't get stuck into the "OMG my site is gone!" mindset and don't try to spend or your resources in trying to revive it. Unless you were making $50,000-100,000/mo with that site is just simpler to start fresh. In the long run the effort you put in and the resources you consume make it "cheaper" and more worthwhile. Try to recover it if possible but have your focus to the future not to the past. Also, just as it was the case with me, something like this can be a great eye opener to the importance to avoid keeping all eggs in one basket. In other words it is best to have at least several sites, money streams, hosts, registrars, everything. Is a logistical nightmare until you get the hang of it but in the long run it makes the entire operation safer.
    That's all good but the domain name is valuable to me! I know this is not in the mind set of the SEOer, IMer, blackhatter etc... Hey, I'm not one of those, but I am a businessmen and the domain name that's been spanked is my very well known (in my local area) 8 year old business name! In fact, the business is actually 20 years old! So its not simply a case of dropping it and starting again for me! I don't like an ugly emd URL to be the main URL for my business.

    Don't get me wrong, if I need to start over I will! But I need to try to revive that horse! lol

  52. The Following User Says Thank You to tony20 For This Useful Post:

    madoctopus (10-08-2013)

  53. #39
    ramarama is offline Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Tony,

    I think this is the problem with the updates that Google keeps putting out.

    In the world outside we are too used to pandering to the minority in our 'human rights' driven, 'politically correct' world that we have fashioned.

    Unfortunately Google doesn't operate with such a sympathetic heart. It is, to be blunt, a dictatorship that operates outside of pretty much any regulation and law. Just think about it, the Banks and most governments are regulated to some degree... and look at the shit they still get into!

    Google makes the rules for it's search engine only, not the Internet itself. Of course in reality for most people it's dominance means that it is the web. But it makes its own rules for its own space and if you want to survive in it then you have to follow the rules.

    I didn't pick up on where you were based but could you not pick up a .net, .co, or .eu etc domain for your site? I know you may not want to change but sometimes you just have to accept that it's worth the short term pain.

    I've tried recovering several sites that have had both algorithmic and manual penalties and personally none of them ever made a full pre penalty recovery. However some sites launched on new domains seem to have gained good rank without links.

    I'd agree thought that it might be worth leaving things for a couple of weeks if you can and seeing how the dust settles before doing anything.

  54. #40
    Scritty's Avatar
    Scritty is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,155 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    Thanks for your input Scritty, sounds like sound advice.

    I can sure you though that there are no paid links or private blog network links. No one has hand their hands on my site. I have never paid for any seo services. The whole site was built by me, and I'll put my hands up too creating those crap links I have already posted about.

    I know I only showed you guys about 20 links, but all the backlinks are like that! i.e. crap, no PR, no relevance, same anchor text backlinks.

    Can I also add that I have been doing a lot of facebook and twitter marketing lately (the last two months).
    When I say marketing I mean adding likes (real likes) to facebook and updating my facebook page with mini snippets about my service and then linking the said service with the appropriate page to my site! Some times these links where raw and sometimes they where hidden using ow.ly.

    I copied the same facebook messages I posted, and pasted them to my (no followers) twitter page.

    Unlikely but do you think this has something to do with my sandboxing?

    Scritty, would you mind if I pm'd you my site?
    Go ahead. Send over a PM and I'll take a quick look at the link profile. Anchor text could be the thing (that's what the other 0.1% is) Best if it is that becasue diluting that over time is not the hardest thing in the world.
    Doubt if your social activity is having much of an effect though.

    Scritty

  55. #41
    Scritty's Avatar
    Scritty is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,155 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceVisi View Post
    I actually meant to disavow the links that are bad, no the whole links.

    You don't need to bitch about it so much. Plus I sent you a PM trying to get a recommendation on services here, forget the fucking PM.

    Hope you are making more money, then talking.
    Chill.

    If you want to know - Over the past few days my sites income has gone down 40% - but my consultation income has gone from zero to plenty.
    So much that I'm starting a site just my name dot com. Likely to start it this week as my other SEO blogs are all about links and content. Need somewhere where people can have a fucking good moan and sort crap out.

    Got your PM - if you still want one that's fine by me. I can take a bitch slap on a forum with the best of them

    Disavow bad links is not a bad idea, maybe make it a little clearer that that's what you meant and we're square by me.

    Scritty

  56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scritty For This Useful Post:

    marcus528 (10-09-2013), Meloman (10-09-2013)

  57. #42
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Thanks mate. Will do right now.

  58. #43
    tony20's Avatar
    tony20 is offline Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Scotland the Brave!!
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    sorry mate, sent you two pm's. thought the first didn't send!

  59. #44
    Lalalaenhund's Avatar
    Lalalaenhund is offline Jr. VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    errywhere
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked 379 Times in 226 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    That's all good but the domain name is valuable to me! I know this is not in the mind set of the SEOer, IMer, blackhatter etc... Hey, I'm not one of those, but I am a businessmen and the domain name that's been spanked is my very well known (in my local area) 8 year old business name! In fact, the business is actually 20 years old! So its not simply a case of dropping it and starting again for me! I don't like an ugly emd URL to be the main URL for my business.

    Don't get me wrong, if I need to start over I will! But I need to try to revive that horse! lol
    Here's a simple idea; while you try to revive the site, just create other black hat sites to funnel some traffic to your main site. Kind of like affiliate sites except you're just promoting yourself. It'll also work as a private blog network.

  60. #45
    PrinceVisi's Avatar
    PrinceVisi is offline I am Tropojan
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tropoja
    Posts
    1,532
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked 778 Times in 406 Posts

    Default Re: my 8 year old PR2 site bombed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scritty View Post
    Chill.

    If you want to know - Over the past few days my sites income has gone down 40% - but my consultation income has gone from zero to plenty.
    So much that I'm starting a site just my name dot com. Likely to start it this week as my other SEO blogs are all about links and content. Need somewhere where people can have a fucking good moan and sort crap out.

    Got your PM - if you still want one that's fine by me. I can take a bitch slap on a forum with the best of them

    Disavow bad links is not a bad idea, maybe make it a little clearer that that's what you meant and we're square by me.

    Scritty
    The OP posted some links above and I thought that if it was all about them, then he should disavow all of them.

    That's it, we are cool.

    Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM
  2. WTF twitter followers just bombed out
    By davids355 in forum Social Networking Sites
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 07:44 AM
  4. Can You Tell When You're Being Click-bombed?
    By Greybeard in forum Adsense
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 02:13 AM
  5. Link bombed
    By schnibitz in forum Black Hat SEO
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




BlackHatWorld on Twitter BlackHatWorld on FaceBook


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103