1. Terms of agreement - you need to take a close look at the agreement conditions and terms of services. You need to make sure that the agreement isnít against your interest. Any questionable clause, and I might drop the program altogether.

2. Commission rates - It isnít always about the commission rate. if a program gives you a 75% commission, but the products are worth $5, then there is no use pursuing that program. If, on the other hand, the commission is 25%, but the products o for $100 or so, then you have yourself a good deal.

3. Assess the market - Before jumping onto an affiliate program, consider what products are you going to promote, and what their market worth is. Run a Google search and find out whether people are looking for such stuff or not.

4. Product range - An affiliate program that has a good range of products to sell might be beneficial in the long run.

5. Context - promoting products to people who are actually interested in them. The products that you want to promote should relate strongly to the topic you are writing about. So before picking an affiliate program, ask yourself this. What is my audience? What do people come to my blog for? And what kind of products (if any) they might be interested in?

6. You must endorse the products - Before signing up for an affiliate program, take a good look at the product or service youíll be endorsing. This is a very important step. You need to be motivated enough yourself so that others will follow your example. Believe in the product. Thatís how you can convince others.

7. Quality - The type of products you promote says a lot about yourself. The products you are going to sell should be good quality. And so should the sites you link to.
8. Management - you should look for information about the programís management. Feel free to contact the affiliate manager. An unresponsive affiliate manager is not a good sign. For any company, a relation with its affiliate partners is important.

9. Viewership - the demographics of your audience in very important. Not all programs ship products to all countries, not even Amazon. If a product is not available to your audience in a particular country, then thatís just your efforts down the drain.

10. References - ask the program manager to supply you with the contact information of a few of their top affiliates. Using these guidelines each and every time I choose an affiliate program has enabled me to be successful and rarely be surprised.